Download Ironstone’s research paper here!
Leaders are not necessarily born as leaders, instead, they encompass the desire and willpower to become an effective leader. Successful leaders develop through education, training, self-study and experience.
With the election behind us, we can wonder what changes will take place under the leadership of our elected officials. Will our leaders serve our country, states and communities keeping promises and the hopes and dreams of us, “the people” in mind? If you held an election today in your office, would your team choose you as its’ leader? What characteristics and qualities does a leader need in order to be chosen to lead our nation, our community or yet, your firm?
We have identified that leadership is primarily learned. The skills and knowledge a person possess contribute to the development of leadership, while other attributes make a leader unique such as:
At the most basic level, a leader is someone who leads another. That alone probably isn’t going to be enough to land a leadership victory. A true leader carries vast qualities under one hat. People are naturally drawn to successful leaders because they inspire others, they are likeable and they lead through example. Failure of leaders to live up to employee expectations is the heart of leadership tribulations.
So, How Do You Get Elected To Run Your Office?
We have gathered a list of the most important qualities employees want in a leader. Here they are:
- Trust– Employees typically rank trust as the #1 trait essential to that of a leader.
- People skills– Employees prefer an environment where they can thrive, share and grow vs. the traditional “command and control” style of leadership.
- Good communication skills– Be honest and open about what is happening in your business.
- Decisive– Provide clarity and direction in decision making and use structured dialog to aide in reaching group decisions.
- Motivational– Strive to bring passion and positive energy to the workplace every single day. Consider the rollercoaster of the nation’s economic status – you still have your business. Provide your employees with a source of positive energy.
- Inspiring– Those that can inspire a group of people to perform at a higher level, produce more effective, efficient and productive teams.
- Accountable– Being accountable means accepting responsibility for outcomes both good and bad. You don’t blame others.
- Developers– Leaders develop and empower their team in ways that allow their employees to feel successful, most of the time.
Leadership doesn’t happen haphazardly. It takes a lot of self discipline, a vision and a goal to continually develop and enhance your own set of leadership skills and knowledge. Leadership also means you are leading a group, working together to accomplish common objectives and goals. Being a successful leader also means you have a successful, engaged team by your side.
Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.
-Peter F. Drucker (1909-2005) Political Economist & Author
Ironstone’s Vision is to forge and guide the personal and professional lives of entrepreneurs and business professionals alike to realize their full potential. Coaching and consulting allows us the opportunity to form an environment where success happens and goals are reached.
Start your transformation with Ironstone as your Partner for Performance
Contact Ironstone with your branding questions & let’s get started!